Wednesday 28 October 2020

2 tonnes of apples

My recent appeal via Facebook to local residents to swap their surplus apples grown in their back gardens for our homemade jams continues to bring in large quantities of fruit. We should easily get through the winter with what we now have. Indeed, the problem is now a shortage of storage space!

We are continuing to collect apples but what we are getting in now is used largely for charitable purposes. We've made lots of preserves which we have donated to a fairshare scheme. I gave a sack of top quality apples to go into packed lunches for children. And I have an order for 100 jars of jam which I will donate to a hub which is providing food parcels to vulnerable households. I will be making the jam over the next couple of days.

In the meantime, if anyone local has some unwanted bread trays, please pass them on to me. They are ideal for storing apples.

No comments: