Friday 12 December 2008

Acorn and apple slices

This is the first time I have used the acorn flour I made last month. I decided it was time to give it a go and also use up some more of those apples I picked in August. So, here we go, my own recipe for acorn and apple slices.

You need:
2 mug fulls of acorn flour
2 mug fulls of porridge oates
400g appleas (peeled and cored)
250g unsalted butter
one teaspoon of ground all spice
a third of a nutmeg, grated
4 tablespoons of honey

Add the flour and oates to a bowl. Add in the butter and rub it through your fingers to make a dough.

Chop the apples and add to the dough along with the honey, all spice and nutmeg.

Mix it all up.

Put some greaseproof paper into a baking tray and oil it lightly.

Spread the mixture into the tray and place in a preheated over at 180C for half an hour.

Leave to cool and then cut into slices.



This is, of course, something of an experiment but I was keen to try something with did not contain processed sugar. This recipe seems to have worked. One thing I discovered is that the acorn flour is a bit gritty - in the sense that it has not been completely ground. The simple solution is to mill it for longer next year when we make much bigger quantities.

No comments: