Sunday 4 January 2009

Blackberry whisky chutney




This was a recipe of my own making that uses up a few left overs from last year. When I made blackberry whisky, I was left with a pile of whisky soaked blackberries. I made most into a pie but still had some left over.



In addition, I had a large quantity of wild apples left over so in the autumn I stewed then in a lot of sugar to preserve them. But I still needed to do something with them.



So here is my recipe for blackberry whisky chutney:



170g whisky soaked blackberries

180g raisins

400g apples preserves in sugar water

Quarter teaspoon of ground all spice

Quarter of a nutmeg, grated

One shot of whisky and two additional tablespoonfuls of same whisky



Add all contents to the pan (other than the tablespoons of whisky) and simmer. There is quite a bit of liquid to start with and this needs to be evaporated off. This took about 20 minutes.



Then place into jars and add to each a tablespoon of whisky. Seal the jars. Normally with chutneys I recommend leaving then to stand for at least 6 weeks before using them. I reckon I can start using these after about 2 weeks. After all, the blackberris have already spent 3 months pickling in whisky. The apple should absorb some of the neat whisky.



Perhaps this is a chutney not to be eaten before driving!



Your mathematics should tell you the above quantities have made 2 jars.

---

Sent via BlackBerry

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

This was a recipe of my own making that uses up a few left overs from last year. When I made blackberry whisky, I was left with a pile of whisky soaked blackberries. Wine Gifts online