Thursday 23 July 2009

Raspberry jam



More raspberry picking today. I found an excellent patch of wild raspberries whilst walking down the other side of the field next to Sunniside where I was picking yesterday. I am going back tomorrow but I picked half a bucketful of raspberries, roughly I think it was over 3kg.


We have used 900g to make another batch of raspberry gin (we don't drink it all ourselves, some of it will be for Xmas presents). The rest will be used tomorrow for more jam making, to add to the 14 jars I made on Monday (see photo above).


To make raspberry jam, here's the recipe:


1kg of raspberries


1kg sugar

2 medium sized lemons


Add the raspberries to the jam pan.


Squeeze the lemons and add the juice to the jam pan.


Heat the pan, stirring regularly. The aim is to break the fruit down to a sloppy wet pulp (see photo).


Keep sufficient heat under the pan to keep it boiling and stir in the sugar. Stir regularly to avoid the mix catching on.


When the jam has reached the setting point add to warmed jars.


If you like it that bit sharper, add in more lemon juice and include the lemon zest.

No comments: