Tuesday 10 July 2012

How to make pickled eggs

pickled eggs June 12 1

The last time I made pickled eggs was about 25 years ago but our recent egg mountain encouraged me to make them again.

Hard boil your eggs and then shell them. The vinegar can either be purchased as a pickling vinegar ready to use or, as I did, get a bottle of white vinegar and add some mustard seeds, coriander seeds, some cloves and a cinnamon stick. Bring the vinegar and spices/seeds to the boil and then simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes.

Allow to cool. You can strain the vinegar if you wish but I didn't. It looks better with the seeds in and the flavour of the seeds continues to infuse into the vinegar. (See photo above.)

Thinly slice some onions. Put the eggs and onions together into a pickling jar and then pour in the vinegar. Seal the jar and leave to stand for about 10 days before starting to use.

My confession is that I didn't get to try any of the eggs in the photo above. I ended up swapping both jars for other people's produce! I will need to pickle some more.

No comments: