Tuesday 10 March 2009

Acorn bread

Last year, when I had a test run of using acorns to make flour, I was determined to have a go at using some of it to make bread. The above was the result. It wasn't entirely made from acorn flour. It was 50:50 acorn flour and strong plain white.

The recipe was as follows:

750g acorn flour
750g strong plain white flour
500ml warm water
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
half teaspoon salt
dried yeast

Mix the flour together with the salt and cooking oil. Add in the water and mix until it becomes a dough. Need for about 10 minutes and then leave to stand for about 45 minutes.

Need again for about 5 minutes and then place in baking tins. Leave again to rise for about half an hour.

Bake for about 40 minutes.

The final result is a heavy wholemeal type bread. I was pleased I diluted the acorn flour with plain as otherwise, I think it would have been a bit too heavy. This does of course leave me with the problem of how to produce our own strong white flour as we move towards self-sufficiency.

Neverthless, I was rather pleased with the results.

No comments: