Monday 8 October 2012

Green tomato chutney recipe

green tomato chutney Oct 12 1

The miserable weather has knocked the tomato crop this year. I should have been harvesting lovely red tomatoes two months ago. Instead, I have a greenhouse full of green tomatoes at the start of October. They will not ripen so I will be picking them green. The same problem has affected people on neighbouring allotments. We have been engaged in a great deal of trading over the past few days. My eggs for their green tomatoes. I now have quite a green tomato mountain, and I haven't even started picking my own.

Today I used a bag of green tomatoes to make chutney. Here is my recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 2kg green tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 900g chopped onions
  • 900g chopped apples
  • 100g raisins
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 450g soft brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 600ml white wine vinegar
Add all the ingredients to a preserving pan and bring up to the boil. Leave to simmer for about 2 hours, until the ingredients have reduced by half and the consistency is that of a thick sauce. I got 9 jars from this quantity (3 of them in the picture below).

green tomato chutney Oct 12 2

I filmed the making of this chutney so the video will be ready shortly. Meanwhile I'm looking around for interesting green tomato recipes. I found a very old one from America for green tomato mincemeat. I'll need to translate the measures but watch this space, I'll be making it shortly.

No comments: