Harvesting leeks is a sign that autumn has arrived. We picked all of ours last week as the ducks were starting to eat them. We have a number of leek recipes coming up and the first is leek and bacon flan:
- chop the leeks and put them in a pan with a bit of butter or oil and heat gently to allow them to sweat for about 20 minutes.
- chop the bacon and cook gently in its own fat for about 10 minutes.
- put short crust pastry into flan tins and put in the leek and bacon.
- beat sufficient eggs and pour over the leek and bacon.
- bake in the oven at 180C for about 20-25 minutes.