Friday, 18 December 2015
A few weeks ago, I set out to make some bramble jelly. I got past the first stage - boiling up the blackberries and apples and then straining the resulting pulp. And then other things got in the way. The bowl of liquid was left standing for days. I decided on a change of plan. It would be made into red champagne instead. I added sugar to the bowl and let it stand a few days to allow fermentation to start. At that point it should go into bottles and be corked (which are wired down.) Except it was left too long in the bowl. Sure enough it started to ferment. But as it was left too long exposed to the air, the alcohol started to turn to vinegar. So I decided to let the fermentation and conversion to vinegar continue. A couple of days ago, I added the liquid to some cider vinegar and a small amount of sugar, boiled it for a couple of minutes and then bottled it.
The end result was 9 bottles of blackberry vinegar, great for use in salad dressings.