Tuesday, 8 July 2014
Raspberry, rhubarb and apple jam
The raspberries I picked on Sunday have now been made into jam. I have decided to avoid the traditional use of lemon juice as the source of pectin. Instead, I used apples. Into the mix went some rhubarb as well which I got as part of a swap last week (one sack of rhubarb for a dozen eggs).
Here is my recipe: equal weight of raspberries, rhubarb (chopped) and apple (minus the core and peel which can be used to make a jelly - waste nothing!). Put them in the jam pan with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until the contents have pulped.
Then add sugar - the same weight as the total of the other contents. Bring back to the boil and keep on a rolling boil until the setting point is reached (the usual test of a dollop of jam setting on a plate applies). They put into hot sterilised jars.