Friday, 12 June 2015
We had a go at making our first hard cheese over the past few days. It was all very experimental and we did not use the cheese press in the way it was supposed to be used. I was after all just tinkering but 5 litres of milk were used. The curds were packed into a cheese cloth and I simply tightened the screws on the press to compress it. I added nothing to it. The result was okay, for an experiment. It will be interesting to see what happens if we let it mature. After today however, we will make cheese properly by putting the curds in a mould.
Meanwhile we have had to turn another 5 litres of milk into cottage cheese today. I will add a bit of salt and some chives to it shortly.