Sunday 11 October 2015

Crunchy sweet pickle

sweet crunchy pickle Oct 15 1

We had lots of runner beans to use up. Most went into the freezer but we have so many runner beans from past years that last year's crop is still being consumed. So, in an attempt to make something different to use some of them up, I decided to make a sweet pickle. This also allowed me to use up some cucumbers, gherkins and onions. The sweet vinegar contained sugar and a few spices. These were boiled up and then the chopped vegetables were added and simmered for about 5 minutes. Everything then went into hot, sterilised jars.

sweet crunchy pickle Oct 15 2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

Was so hoping to find a more detailed recipe of the gherkin liquid...I see it says say sugar and a few spices, but I'm not the best chef...dont want to waste the gherkins!

Can you give me a few suggestions? Dont have tarragon by the way :-)

Regards and thanks,

Carol-anne

South Africa