Saturday 23 August 2008

Hen keeping

We are planning to keep some hens. I have kept all sorts of animals in the past, but never before kept chickens. So I need to learn what is required and this afternoon, whilst in a bookshop, I spotted a book called "Henkeeping" by Jane Eastoe, published by the National Trust. I bought it and have just finished reading it. As we are away from home today, I won't be able to look over the garden til tomorrow. I can then test me ideas for hen houses and runs against the lie of the land. The problem will come with the foxes!

---
Sent via BlackBerry

1 comment:

Mike said...

We've had three hens since just before Easter. The eggs are gorgeous and huge, and they're really easy to keep. They're thick as whale meat though.

They do need fencing in; they'll ruin your garden otherwise.