Sunday 3 August 2008

Rhubarb and ginger jam


Tales from the freezer, number two. The clear out of the freezer this weekend uncovered a large quantity of rhubarb. We have some growing on the allotment so coincidentally I was planning to make rhubarb and ginger jam this weekend anyway. We'll leave the fresh stuff to be picked another day.


So, recipe for rhubard and ginger jam:

2kg of coursely chopped rhubarb

fresh ginger to taste (I used 2 large roots but this may be too strong for some people)

2kg of jam sugar



  • add rhubard to pan

  • peel the ginger roots and grate them, then add them to the pan

  • heat to boil

  • the freezing and thawing process had already turned much of the rhubarb to a course pulp but you need to boil and simmer it until it becomes a sloppy pulp

  • then add the sugar, stirring regularly

  • once the setting point is reached, (when the skin forms on the surface in the pan) pour into warm jars

  • jam is ready for use pretty much immediately

I first made this jam last year and thought it had gone wrong. It did not set well so was rather sloppy. I also thought I put in too much ginger. I took samples into work (my colleagues are my food testing guinea pigs) and they loved it. Turned out to be one of my most popular jams. They liked the heavy use of ginger. Others may want to tone down the quantity of ginger used.

No comments: