Friday 7 November 2014

More cheesemaking



On Tuesday I put a day's supply of milk from Pinkie, our Golden Guernsey goat, into a bowl to allow the cream to rise to the top and be spooned off for butter making. Having taken off the cream, I decided to let the milk continue to stand as I thought I may get off even more. After a few hours I noticed the milk was starting to separate into curds and whey. I didn't get any more cream but I left the milk to continue separating and today there was a solid layer of curds. I spooned it off into a cheese mold this morning and left it to drain.



This is the result, a reasonably firm cheese but with a mild flavour. My plan tomorrow is to sprinkle salt crystals over it and role it in dried sage and chopped spring onions (I have some growing in the greenhouse). Watch out for an update soon.

No comments: