Saturday 26 September 2009

Picking sweet chestnuts

I headed into the wilds of Crystal Palace Park, near my house in London yesterday, and filled a shopping bag with sweet chestnuts, all still in their casings. I thought it useful to get them now, to beat the squirrels to them. Strong gardening gloves are needed to pick them.

This morning we removed them from their casings. Again, the gloves were needed. My hands now ache. It was not an easy job but at least we have a few kg of sweet chestnuts for use over the winter.
---
Sent via BlackBerry

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hi, I just picked some myself. They are very small and squishy, not like i remember them being when i collected them as a child. Is this common? do you have any idea if there is something wrong with them. when i take them apart they completely lack any "flesh"