Saturday 1 March 2014

Henpower



Henpower is a project in Gateshead that works with older people living in residential homes. It engages them in hen keeping activities. The aim is to "henergise" the lives of older people. By all accounts it appears to be working well. This week the project launched a photo gallery of their activities in Gateshead Civic Centre. I was invited to come to the launch on Tuesday. As well as the photos, I particularly liked the rare breed chickens they brought along. And there was a superb selection of eggs. Some were very dark brown, presumably from a maran. I have two maran copper blacks but their eggs are much lighter than the ones I saw at Henpower. I quietly added fertile dark brown maran eggs to my shopping list. Hatching and raising some maran chicks would be great.

No comments: