Sunday 22 March 2020

Moving Freddie

Barnvelder cockerel Mar 20 1

We have 3 cockerels, 2 of which (Freddie and Rhodio) were hatched and raised together 18 months ago. There had been no problem between them until last week when I found them both bloodied but Freddie was also hiding away. He had clearly come off worst. I decided it was time to separate them. Last night, when all the chickens went to roost, I took Freddie (he's a barnvelder), along with the 2 barnvelder hens, to the spare henhouse on the Farside allotment. The henhouse is in the goat paddock where we keep the nannies (though they will be moving soon to pasture on the small holding). I'm pleased to report that the 3 chickens took quickly to their new home. Freddie quickly worked out the best sun traps! His comb is still rather scabby after his scrap with Rhodio but I'm expecting him to make  good recovery.

Barnvelder cockerel and hens Mar 20

No comments: