Wednesday 29 October 2008

Veggie burgers


The increased supply of home grown onions led me to think of ways of using them up. I came up with the idea of veggie burgers as it also helped me to use up some eggs and a pile of bread crumbs I had. We still buy in eggs and bread at this point in our move to self sufficiency but I am working on acquiring our own sources of both eggs and flour. The surplus bread I had was made into bread crumbs a few weeks ago.

We grow broad beans on the allotment so in theory I could use them to make burgers. However, for this recipe I bought a tin of aduki beans from Sainsburys.

So, the veggie burger recipe:
Tin of aduki beans (you can use just about any type of bean or chick peas)
2 eggs
2 red onions
Bread crumbs
Cooking oil

Mash the beans and add about 2 - 3 heaped tablespoons of bread crumbs.

Chop the onions and add to the mixture.

Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.

Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the mixture.

Mix up the mixture! Shape into burgers. You may find at this point the mix is too damp. If so, add a small amount of flour or bread crumbs.

Fry or grill, and serve with a bit of home made chutney and salad leaves.

No comments: