Sunday 20 August 2017

Pigeon burgers

pigeon burgers Aug 17 (1)

Another summer glut is pigeons. We get sackfuls of them in trades with a friend who goes shooting. The breast meat is the only part of the bird that is worth eating though we keep the feathers for eventual use in making quilts. The meat is frozen either a whole breasts or minced. Yesterday I invented my own recipe for pigeon burgers:

  • 500g minced pigeon breast meat
  • a medium onion grated
  • a medium apple grated
  • a glass of our homemade beer
  • half a small jar of hedgerow jelly
  • 3 tablespoons of fruit puree
  • salt and pepper to taste
The different ingredients help to balance the gamey taste of the pigeons though I think in future I will double up the quantity of meat. Otherwise, I was quite pleased with the results.

It's National Burger Day on Thursday so this is one of my contributions to the celebration of burgers.

pigeon burgers Aug 17 (2)

No comments: