Friday 12 September 2008

Cooking with rosehips - apple and rosehip pie



Rosehips are an important source of vitamin C but are also very versatile in the kitchen. I have made rosehip tea before (simply boil some whole rosehips in a pan then drain off the liquid and drink it - it tastes a bit like caramel) and for apple and rosehip jelly. This was the first time I have used them in making pies or jam.

So the above picture is the pie I made last week and also pictured is Vicky, one of my colleagues at work, who was one of the food sampling guinea pigs (along with most of the rest of the people on the floor on which I am based).

The pie used up some of the apples I had picked wild a couple of weeks previously. For thise recipe I simply went out into our garden and picked a small bag of rosehips. The slow process was chopping them open and scraping out the seeds.

The pie was made in the usual way but with plenty of fruit. There's nothing more frustrating than buying a commercial apple pie and finding there's hardly any filling. The fruit was about three quarters apple to one quarter rosehips.

No comments: