Friday 12 September 2008

Just as we thought we were coming to the end of the planting season



How little we know! In the post this morning arrived some garlic for planting by November.

However, we have dealt with all our peas and broad beans. David, in the picture above decided to shell the last of the beans whilst watching tv. Multi-tasking at its best! The last few peas have been picked (the mice got some of them) but we are still picking courgettes (the mice like to nibble them!)

The courgette crop has been very good and David has used some of the surplus to make a courgette chutney. I'll post up the recipe when he gives it to me. It simmered away whilst I was making the apple and rosehip jam (and it's pictured above after having been steeped in vinegar overnight but not at that point cooked).

We still however need to dig up the potatoes. It's been too wet recently for that and I'm concerned they could start rotting in the ground. I've got some time off at the end of next week so, assuming the rain holds off, I'll be on the allotment with the spade.

No comments: